Friday, June 19, 2015

The gift of a stick

"God has given us each gifts, even if that gift is only a stick, it is still a stick--how will you use to it to glorify him?" Unknown

I happened upon this quote today during my training cabins small group today and wanted to share it here, with you.

Today, during our morning meeting/small group, each member of my training cabin wrote a letter.  None of us knew who would get the letter we wrote.  All we knew was that we were writing a single letter that someone else in our cabin would get.  We did it last year with all of the TST female staff at an all female campfire.  Last year the letter I got said so much about what I was going to experience and learn in the pat year and the growth that would happen.

And so, as I wrote this years letter, I thought of my faith walk and of all the new staff that were sitting in that circle.  I won't say what I wrote because I don't remember much of what I did.  But I remember saying that there were going to be ups and downs and that those experiences would change their life.

As I read the letter sent to me, I saw words of encouragement and words that I need to remember on a daily basis.  I saw a reminder of the fact that I am beautiful, even when I don't feel it.

There are times when I've looked around only to see people that I think are more talented, are better at everything that they do, who are more popular.  That's when I need to remember that quote that I started this post off with.

"God has given us each gifts, even if that gift is only a stick, it is still a stick--how will you use to it to glorify him?" Unknown

Remembering that I have my own unique gifts hasn't always been easy.  Remembering that my sticks aren't someone else's sticks isn't always easy.  Yet, as I sit here at SpringHill's Michigan overnight location, I can't help but remember that my gifts are being used here.  I might not always use all of my gifts while I am here, but I use many of them.

This year, with a majority of the summer kitchen staff being new to being kitchen staff, I've found myself thrown into a situation where I can mentor the new staff and help them learn what I did last year in the kitchen while still learning from them.

I can't wait to see what this summer brings, and what I learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment