Sunday, September 27, 2015

What Really Matters

At some point in life, many people ask something along the lines of "Does what I am doing really matter?".  I got to thinking about this today at church and thought that I would share some of those thoughts.

Many times, the smallest things change our lives in ways we never thought our life would change having experienced that simple moment.

Looking back at my life, there are those simple things that I can point to as things that changed my life.  There was a whole series of simple things that happened during a single week at Stony Lake Lutheran Camp during the summer of 2002 that changed my life quite a bit.  If it hadn't been for that week, I don't think I would have the relationship with God that I now have, or would have ever considered working at a summer camp.  If not for that week I might not have spent two summers working at Wisconsin Badger Camp or two summers working at SpringHill camps Michigan overnight location.

Ordinary people are serving in Jesus' name and most of us never notice people doing it.

I know I don't always notice it when someone is doing their job, not because it's their job, but because it's something that they hear Jesus calling them to do.  What would happen if we all did this?  What could the world achieve if we did this?

So many times we get caught up in what our denomination of Christianity says about certain acts, certain people, about what the world wants out of us.

We don't always think about what God would say to us when we judge people because they are gay, because they got divorced, because they are transgender, because they cheated on their spouse, because they had an abortion, or because they are aiming to get things that are worldly and not what God would want us to aim for.

You might find it hard to believe that Jesus loves us all, despite our sins, our shortcomings, and all the things we do that he would rather us not do even when we don't realize we are doing those things.

You might find it hard to believe that God loves each and every one of us.

So what matters the most to you?  Why do the thing(s) that you say matter the most to you matter to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment