Monday, March 20, 2017

God's Got You

"I life my eyes to the mountains--where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.  The Lord watches over  you--the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.  The Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore."  Psalm 121

In recent days, I've been thinking a lot about the past year.  This past year was one where I put myself out there for a job that I didn't think I would get, only to be offered the very same position.  It was a year that sent me from being excited about a new possibility to a place where I had so many questions about life.  Around this time last year, I was dealing with a lot of anxiety.

After being let go from that job, I ended up accepting a summer position at SpringHill Camps Michigan overnight location.  I was glad to have a plan for the summer.  What I didn't know at the time was that God wanted me back at SpringHill for a reason.

During my time at SpringHill in 2014, I began to understand what God's voice sounds like to me.

During my time at SpringHill in 2015, I began to trust that God had a plan for me, and that if I did what I could do within my own, very human, power, God would make amazing things happen and make sure I ended up right where He wanted me.

Looking back at it, as I drove towards camp at the beginning of last summer, I felt like I was headed home.  I was so excited to be back at camp, a place where I did feel at home, and where I knew that I would learn something.

As I walked towards where check in for staff training was going to be held, I could see the day camp staff who would be heading out later that day having fun.  I could also see members of the Michigan overnight locations summer leaderships staff and members of the year round staff relaxing.  I continued walking, and quickly recognized a number of people that I had known the past two summers.  As I got closer to them, they noticed me.  Of course they made their way over to me and gave me so many hugs.

One of those first people to reach out and hug me was someone that I had reached out to one year ago today via Facebook.  I still remember the two of hugging, and could feel the tears near the surface.  This was a woman who had been there, who had been someone I had been able to lean on when I was struggling.

During the course of training I was wrecked.  Yet I found myself learning, growing, and finding my way forward.

Did I know what this past fall would bring?  No.  But I knew that whatever it brought, God would be right there with me.

In the past year, I realized the job I had as a cook at an assisted living facility wasn't where God wanted me in the long term.    I realized that God wanted me at that facility for a while, and that He wanted me back at SpringHill all along.  I realized that the time spent with a host of two year old kids this fall was a time that God was reminding me how to be a playful adult that embraces aspects of who they were at two.

And now that I'm in school and working part time at Panera Bread?

I don't know what next year will look like, but I know that God has a plan.  I know that the kid that was all excited about his soup on Monday, and who gave me a hug and high-five made me smile and brought out the kid in me.  I know that my co-workers always find ways to make me smile during every shift that I work.

I also know that God's got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment