Monday, July 6, 2015

Under Construction

Discipleship is something that I was so unsure of last summer.  I wasn't sure how to disciple the girls that I was working with.  I wasn't always sure if I was having an impact on the kids during the times where we didn't have planned activities.

Discipleship is something that I don't always know how to do with each of the campers I spend time with.

The past two weeks I loved spending time with the girls I worked with.  I didn't always know how I could help them see God in their lives.  But I kept on spending time with them, knowing that the time I would spend with them could be the time that they might remember later in life as a time that they saw God at work.

Discipleship isn't always about teaching others--sometimes it's about spending time with God.

It was tonight during discipleship with my cabin that we walked over to the Storybrook.  For a time we sat in the woods with sharpies and rocks, writing the things that get in the way of our relationship with God.  I didn't have the largest rock with me, but I still managed to put several things on that rock.  Having walked to the dock of the Storybrook pond, and the girls had sat down, I walked towards the shore.  It was there that I stood for a moment, asking God to take those things on that rock from me, before I chucked the rock into the pond.

At the same time there was machinery working on something at adventure tower, which was right behind where I sat, listening to God speak.  It was then that I realized that God was telling me that I was still "under construction", but that in being "under construction", he was working through me to show these girls to God.

Discipleship isn't all about being perfect, having the right words, or knowing exactly what to do in every situation.

Discipleship is about being who you were meant to be and showing the kids who God is through your own personal struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment