Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Blessed

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.  Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth.  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.  Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.  Blessed are the pure in heart for they will see God.  Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called children of God.  Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.  Rejoice and be glad for your reward is great in heaven for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."  Matthew 5:3-11

On June 10, I made the drive from home to the place I call my second home, SpringHill camps.  I was ready to be back at my second home, doing something I love, and something where I know I have an impact on others.

From the moment that I arrived back on camp, I kept finding people that I worked with here the past two summers, which was nice.  Yet there were so many new faces--people I had never met.  After a rough spring, seeing friends again, and receiving so many hugs from them was such a positive thing.  Those hugs were reminders of the fact that even when things aren't and haven't been going the way I would like them to, there are people (other than my family) out there who care and want to see me succeed and are true friends.

We are still doing training, and the first campers will arrive on Saturday and Sunday.  Everyone is excited for their first campers, yet know that the training we are going now is important.

It was strange to be one of the few returning staff members amount the high school campers staff.  Yet, the staff that will be working with the high school campers are a lot of fun to spend time with.  I can't wait to see them working with the high school campers, and see the impact that they have.  The great thing about the returning high school campers staff is that they were so pumped to see me back at camp again.

Throughout the spring, after my hours got cut at my previous job, then was let go, I didn't really understand why God was sending me away from that place when I enjoyed the position, and enjoyed the people I served in that position.  All I knew was that God must have a plan for me, and that whatever that plan was, it was for the best that I wasn't with my previous employer any longer.  The returning staff that knew about what had happened with my previous position were great about it, and have checked in to see how I'm doing.  What I didn't expect was the way that people that I had never met before reacted when I told the story of the past year.  The way that those people reacted and supported me has reminded me that there is a good chance that there are people here at SpringHill that I will be friends with for years to come.

I may be in a different position here at camp--the Trading Post (aka camp store), and I may not be working with nearly as many people as I have during the past two summers.  But I am meeting new people, and constantly reminding myself of the fact that God has  a plan for me, even when it isn't clear what that plan is.  Whatever is next will be a great experience that I won't ever forget!

Working at SpringHill is such a blessing, and a situation that I am SO GLAD that God put me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment