Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Breaks

I've struggled with taking my full two hour breaks this summer.  The fact that I am finding myself needing to be around people to gain energy has made taking time for myself and God hard.  I've found that those few minutes between groups in the Trading Post (camp store), the time spent walking from the trading post to find my group, and the time spent building and starting a campfire for my campers is the alone time that I need the most.  Those are the times that I find it the easiest to talk to God.  Those are the times that I hear God the most.

Abby, one of my co-workers at camp, once asked me if I ever take time off.  I do use part of my breaks, but two hours has been tough for me.  What people might not realize is that it is through struggling to take my breaks, and not be around kids during my day off, I have begun to feel pulled into ministry.  It's not that I really wanted to go into ministry full time at the beginning of the summer, but that God is leading me in that direction.  Just the fact that I am finding the simplest moments to be alone with myself and God is a good feeling.

Now that I'm back from the family reunion, and am in my first day back after a nice vacation, I've realized that being here at SpringHill is a great experience for me.  It's forced me to spend more time with God, and more time thinking about others instead of focusing on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment