Sunday, June 8, 2014

First days at Spring Hill

The first days here at Spring Hill have been filled with a lot of stuff.  So here's what I've been up to:

After arriving on Thursday, I checked in and moved into the cabin I'll be in for training.  We also did a talking and walking tour of camp.  That was great since I managed to get slightly lost walking from where I checked in to the cabin I'm in.  I wasn't too lost.  I just went in the correct general direction, but took the wrong path towards the wrong set of cabins.  I'm glad that the people that I work with here at Spring Hill are awesome and helped me to figure out where I was going.  We also had campfires with our training cabins and with another training cabin where we started sharing our stories.

Friday:
Morning meeting--most mornings during training we get together before breakfast with our training cabin to do a half an hour Bible study/discussion.  My cabin is doing Luke.
Breakfast
Basic recap from the walk and talk tour of camp.
Spring Hill History
lunch
Bullying intervention--I never thought I would know this much about how to stop bullying.
Emergency Plan--this isn't to much different from what it was at Wisconsin Badger Camp, so I didn't have to much new information from this session to process.
Dinner
Worship
Bed

Saturday:
Morning meeting
breakfast
Child protection  plan--basically covering reporting laws since we are all mandatory reporters.  Thanks to working in the nursery at church, I was already a mandatory reporter, so the review was nothing new, but good to have.
lunch
Gospel Essentials--I'm sure there will be some point this summer when I'll have a conversation with one of the kids, and will use some of what we talked abut during this session.
Process of check in/check out with other activity staff
Dinner
Crud wars--the staff got together to smear mud on each other, get sprayed by a fire truck, throw flour, throw wet horse feed, throw water balloons, and throw shaving cream at each other.  It was great to get all messy.  After it was all over everyone got sprayed down with fire hoses, and headed back to their cabins to take strip and take showers.  The cabin I am in wore our swimming suits under our junk cloths so that when we got back to our cabin, we could strip on the deck, go in and shower in our swimming suits to get rid of all the junk left on us.

Today I know we have worship, an ultimate and basketball tournament.

I should post in another few days to cover everything we covered since then in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment