Monday, June 10, 2013

First day at camp

Today has been my first day at camp.  I have been enjoying every minute of it so far.  When I arrived yesterday afternoon two of my three lovely campers had arrived.  The moment I got here, I felt like I had come home.  I felt like I had come home to a bunch of friends (staff and campers) old and new, and to a place that I now know my way around without a problem.

I didn't know what to expect out of my first group of campers.  I can now say this: my first group of wonderful women are amazing.  They've made me smile, and reminded me of how much fun the simplest things like laughing at things that I don't and won't remember.

Early this morning, as I slept for the last few minutes I would get today, a camper in the travel program and their counselor came walking into Sunshine, where I am sleeping this week with my three campers.  As they opened the door to the dorm room, the didn't realize that we had the cans up.  These cans are two large metal cans connected together with some space between them by string.  There is a length of string that then is thrown over the top of the door at night before the last counselor into the dorm goes to bed, and the door is then closed.  When this happens and someone opens the door not realizing the the cans or there, or not knowing how to remove the cans silently, the cans crash to the floor creating a racket.  When the cans crashed this morning, I sat straight up, and looked towards the door.  As it turns out, it was a camper and counselor from the Travel program that were coming in to use the bathroom having forgotten about the cans. Thankfully those cans crashing to the floor this morning did not mean a camper that has gone running out of the dorm when they shouldn't have been.

I am now off to take a shower and bed.  I should have some time this weekend to get pictures up from Megan's Wedding, so keep your eyes open!

No comments:

Post a Comment