Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Thoughts from a laundromat

Written on 1/24/15

Today I took a boarders  cloths to the laundromat so that I could wash them.  My co-workers were back at camp, cleaning the girls dorms as i sat there, waiting for the laundry to be washed and dried.  In a way I was glad to be away--to be around civilization--for a time.  Yet I wondered if there was more to life than cleaning dorms, cleaning laundry, cooking meals, and doing activities with kids.  That's when I remembered that I would much rather be doing this than flipping burgers at a fast food place.

As I sat there, waiting at the laundromat, I knew that the variety of things I do on a daily basis combined with the routine is part of why I like what I do.  I don't just paint, just wash cloths, just cook, just do activities with kids.  I get to do it all.  And I know exactly what's coming net.

Last night one of the girls decided that she wanted to do cooking while one of the boys wanted to do improv games.  We had planned on doing both so that the kids could choose which one they wanted to do.  As it turned out, the time I spent doing cooking was a great chance to talk with the kids, and to create something that they will hopefully remember when they get older.

No comments:

Post a Comment