Thursday, January 22, 2015

What Camp Counselors Make

If you've ever thought that the camp counselors had it made, think again.

Camp counselors make sure they know as much as they possibly can about the kids that they care for.  They don't want these kids to be homesick, worry, feel un-wanted or worthless.  They want to know what the kids they work like and don't like.  They remember these things so that the can make a group of kids time at camp the best days of their young lives.

Whenever I had a camper who was homesick, worried, or just needed a positive role model in their life, I knew something about them that I could use to help them grow  and to see that things might be tough at times and that they could come out of the situation a stronger and better person.  There was one camper from my time at Spring Hill who I was able to create a connection with.  It was thanks to that connection that we made early in their two weeks at camp that allowed to this camper know that they could pull me aside at anytime to talk.  There were several times when we had one on one, and that they like having me there to listen and give advice was helpful.

Camp counselors make sure that the parents of the kids they care for know that their kids will be just fine. Never doubt the ability of your child's camp counselor.

During my time at Wisconsin Badger Camp, I had to pay a lot of attention to what caregivers were telling me about my campers because these were campers with disabilities.  I knew that the more information I got from the caregivers about my campers, the easier it would be when I found the campers needed someone who had an understanding of their situation.

Camp Counselors are always learning new things, and making trying new things something that their campers want to do.

During my time at Spring Hill, I decided to start overcoming my fear of heights by going down the zip lines.  The kids I was working with those two weeks knew that I was (and still am) scared of heights.  So they were glad to see me trying new things.  Here at Camp Pillsbury, I've already learned how to use a paint roller (I had never used one in my life), how to remove acrylic paint from walls, and how to make stir fry without a recipe.  I'm certain that I'll learn even more the longer that I am here.

Camp counselors know how to solve problems with little to no supervision, and no one telling them how to do everything that they have to do on a daily basis.

At WBC, I spent much of my days making sure that my campers were dressed, clean, well fed, and having fun in their activities.  Nobody told me how to get my campers to shower.  I had to figure out how to get them in and out of the shower, to get their meds, to meals and activities, and to bed without much of any direction.

Camp counselors can and will handle just about anything you can throw at them.

At Spring Hill, we had a head lice infestation one week.  What did we, as the staff, do?  We did a lice check of all the staff and campers so that we could treat those who had lice.  During the summer of 2013, I managed to get with a stomach bug in the middle of our two week session...while I had campers.  Thankfully the staff rallied to come up with a plan so I could sleep for a couple hours.  The moment that I woke up from my nap, I knew that I wasn't 100%, but was feeling more like myself.  So, I went to dinner, and spent the rest of the night with my campers.  It didn't matter that I was sick.  What I mattered that night was making the campers feel special despite being sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment